Monday, September 10, 2007

Even though it was cool on Sabbath we went to the lake (Gray's). Notice the nice sandy beach kids! We enjoyed hearing the waves lapping on the shore and the beautiful sunset over the water.


Yesterday & today I have been tending to my trap line. Who would have thunk I would turn into a ruthless trapper, but when the moles starting invading our yards a couple of years ago I took mole trapping lessons from a friend near Balzac and although they are coming in fast I have had some success at keeping the moles out of my immediate vicinity at least. Yesterday afternnon I set one trap in my yard & a couple hours later had caught a mole. Then in the evening I set 3 traps & this morning discovered I had caught 3 moles! To have success you have to find the run into their most recent molehill, dig it out & put the trap at the entrance to the hill. When they see the light coming in at the end or top of the trap they run to fill in their run and are caught in the trap.

I have pulled the trap out of the hole so you can see the back end of the mole in the trap.


This is a different, but just as effective trap. It is about 6-8 inches long so you can see the size of the mole. This is a smaller one.

They are squished with the spring around their head or middle when caught in the trap. I hope you can see their teeth and claws.

5 comments:

The Letniaks said...

Oh Elaine, I am impressed!!! Would never have seen you as the avid hunter!!! But I think that I can picture it now :) Hopefully you get them under control!! Best of luck!

Steven and Kimberly said...

What "lovely" pictures, Elaine! :) My kitties would love to eat your moles. Yuck.

Ev said...

To bad this wasn't a money making propostion!!! Yes, who would of thunk you would be a trapper. I remember Gene used to trap weasels in his younger days but he got money for those! Good Luck.

Gloria Pierson said...

Could that really be Gray's Lake??? It is amazing! Last time I remember a pretty yuky beach - in fact a mucky one! So you have turned into a "Hunter" - reminds me of my mom's mole trapping experiences!!! You go girl!

The Sénéchals said...

No I can't see their teeth and claws and don't want to look too closely at the rodents! All the power to you :0